Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Did these epic Iranian sand dunes bury an entire civilization?

On the outskirts of a lesser-known central Iranian town, a natural marvel hides an ancient, mythological secret. Marco Ferrarese goes digging for clues. 

Breathing
heavily, I set one foot in front of the other, dunking my heels into soft, cold
sand. Above me, like a powerful light bulb hanging from the sky, the early
spring sun reflects over 360 degrees of silent dunes.

The
going is solitary and tough, but the sand breaks under my steps and supports me
like a ladder, giving me the balance I need to keep climbing. I am resolute,
and curious to see if this really is
the marvel that buried an ancient civilization.

When
I finally reach the top of the dune, pearls of cold sweat run down my spine and
my vision blurs. I need to sit down and rest. Slowly, my eyes readjust to a new
world of shimmering, undulating ochre sand, beautifully arranged before me as
far as I can see.

The post Did these epic Iranian sand dunes bury an entire civilization? appeared first on Adventure.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment